Horses have a knack for ripping their blankets when there is a big storm coming . . . or the blanket is brand new.
Many blanket cleaners will sew on patches and do other repairs but when you need to fix your blanket NOW here are a few tips and techniques. They should come in very handy when your horse looks at you with complete innocence while wearing a blanket with a big hole in it!
- If you can sew up a rip, try using dental floss instead of thread — it’s stronger;
- If the blanket has to go right back out in the field, try patching with duct tape and then sewing down the edges
- If sewing isn’t your thing, try gluing on patches with Mighty Mend It Glue (or any flexible fabric glue) or using iron on patches.
- Order a whole kit from Amazon.
- Schneiders makes blanket repair tape, which is demonstrated in the video below.